Location: Central Lincoln County, Pahranagat Valley, Hiko
Directions: Along SR 318 in Hiko, 5 miles north of Crystal Springs
Marker type: St (L)
Date Conquered: 4/13/08
Quick Description: A marker remembering the boom-to-bust mining camp of Hiko.
Signed: No -- This marker used to be signed. No signs exist today.
Exact description as reads ...
As early as 1865, a camp was established here and in the Spring of 1866, Colonel W.H. Raymond and others laid out the townsite. Hiko, situated in the Pahranagat range of mountains, is an Indian expression for "white man's town." Raymond, with Eastern capital, purchased the machinery for a five stamp mill and had it shipped via the Colorado River to Callville, then hauled by oxen the 140 miles to this site. In November, 1866, milling was begun on Pahranagat ores and soon after, Hiko became the first county seat of Lincoln County in March 1867. Raymond spent nearly $900,000 building roads, erecting dwellings, setting up the mill, prospecting and mining before the enterprise failed. The mill was moved to Bullionville in 1870 and consequently, Hiko declined in population and importance. The decline was accelerated after the removal of the county government to Pioche in February, 1871.
Notice the surroundings! Here is another area of Nevada with confused geography: Great Basin meets Mojave Desert.